Thursday, October 16, 2008

Long time No Write

Well, I haven't writteng anything in awhile, I have been busy and just haven't been able to sit down and write random thoughts.  I just finished up my first course at the language school.  I am taking or trying to learn this great language, it is very hard.  I can understand very little.  I have a friend that has been helping me with understanding and with converstations.

The problems is you can say "mai" five different ways.  Either rising, falling, straight, up-down, and down up.  But to a westerners ear it sounds like the same word said five times in a row.  It is one of the funniest and most annoying things in the world.  Oh and then theres are the long vowels and the short vowels.

Here is a sentence... spelled phonetically for us Americans:
     /      \     /\    /\       /
Maai mai mai mai, mai?
"New wood doesn't burn, does it?"

The / means high.
The \ means low.
The /\ means falling or up-down

Crazy isn't it?

Anyways, I start my Thai Culture class on the 23rd of October and I get to learn how to Wai more problely and learn about Thailand.  It will be great.

2 comments:

Luther said...

That's awesome you're making the effort to learn the language... That "mai" sentence is so crazy, though!

CK said...

Glad it's you and not me learning that language. I have enough trouble with the words in Hawaiian when we are visiting there. They only use 13 letters instead of our normal 26. We just got back from there earlier this week. This morning we had snow so I'm going through bad withdrawal and wanting to go back. Have a good week. Aunt Connie